When you’re new in town, even getting around the city can be a challenge. Do you brave public transportation, hail a taxi, or rent a car? What do you even do once you arrive at the airport. Any new place can be confusing and hectic, especially when you’re unfamiliar with it all.
Low Budget Movers has experience getting through all parts of Phoenix. We’ve gathered up some great tips for navigating through Phoenix that we think will come in handy for you.
- Arriving. The airport itself has hundreds of terminals. However, the airport has their own PHX Sky Train – which is free – that can get you anywhere in the airport quickly. In fact, Sky Harbor is considered one of the most convenient airports in the country. From the airport, you can choose how you want to get around next, depending on what terminal you arrive in.
- Transportation. The airport offers a variety of ways to get where you need to go. If you need to get to the Valley Metro Rail, which serves Phoenix, Tempe, and Mesa, hop on the PHX Sky Train – which is free – to get to the 44th and Washington Street station. Each terminal also has a taxi stand if you are looking for a more traditional method of transportation. Getting public transportation is great when you aren’t familiar with the streets of Phoenix.
- Free Time. If you have time to kill at the airport, you don’t have to sit around doing nothing. The airport is packed full of activities, such as the museum exhibits in Terminals 2 and 3. Terminal 2 also has some bookshops and gift shops to wander through. No matter what terminal you are in, you can always find something to eat, like NYPD Pizza in Terminal 2 or Barrio Cafe in Terminal 4.
- Use Apps. Taxis will always be available in Phoenix–in the city and at all the terminals in the airport. But apps like Uber and Lyft tend to be cheaper, quicker, and even friendlier. It’s recommended as one of the best ways to navigate through Phoenix. For example, a taxi ride from the airport to downtown Phoenix would typically cost you $24 and take around ten minutes. Through an app like Uber, you can get a cheaper price, especially if you share your ride. Sometimes the apps even offer discounts.
- Light Rail. The Valley Metro Light Rail is one of the easiest and cheapest ways to get around the city. It runs through central Phoenix, Tempe, and Mesa. It also goes by some of the best attractions the city has to offer, like the Phoenix Art Museum, Chase Field, Arizona Science Center, and so many more. To get from the airport to your hotel, you’ll only pay $2. For an all day pass, it’s $4.
- Public Bus. The city has a public bus system, the Phoenix Transit Bus, which can always be an easy way to get around. The bus travels all over the city, and makes more frequent stops than the rail system. Route information is also extremely easy to find on their website. If you’re interested in seeing what the city has to offer, the bus system is a great way to find hidden treasures.
- Bike Share. If you’re looking to stay fit and stay closer to the sights, you can also consider the city’s bike share program, Grid Bike Share. It’s a great, easy way to navigate through Phoenix. Anyone can rent a bike through their website, or mobile app. An hour of riding only cost $5. If you don’t want to do the peddling yourself, consider a pedicab, where you can relax while someone else peddles.